Container-Optimised OS from intelHUB is an operating system image for your Compute Engine VMs that is optimised for running Docker containers.
Container-Optimised OS is maintained by intelHUB and based on the open source Chromium OS project. With Container-Optimised OS, you can bring up your Docker containers on intelHUB Cloud Platform quickly, efficiently, and securely.
Features and Benefits
Container-Optimized OS provides the following benefits:
- Run Containers Out of the Box: Container-Optimised OS instances come pre-installed with the Docker runtime and cloud-init. With a Container-Optimised OS instance, you can bring up your Docker container at the same time you create your VM, with no on-host setup required.
- Smaller attack surface: Container-Optimised OS has a smaller footprint, reducing your instance’s potential attack surface.
- Locked-down by default: Container-Optimised OS instances include a locked-down firewall and other security settings by default.
- Automatic Updates: Container-Optimised OS instances are configured to automatically download weekly updates in the background; only a reboot is necessary to use the latest updates.
Container-Optimised OS has limited or no support for some of the common features you may be familiar with on other operating systems:
- Container-Optimised OS does not include a package manager; as such, you’ll be unable to install software packages directly on an instance.
- Container-Optimised OS does not support execution of non-containerised applications.
- The Container-Optimised OS kernel is locked down; you’ll be unable to install third-party kernel modules or drivers.
- Container-Optimised OS is not supported outside of the intelHUB Cloud Platform environment.
Using Container-Optimised OS
Container-Optimised OS is the default node OS Image in Kubernetes Engine and other Kubernetes deployments on intelHUB Cloud Platform.
You can also use Container-Optimised OS to quickly bring up a Docker container on a Compute Engine instance with minimal setup
Use cases for Container-Optimised OS
Container-Optimised OS can be used to run most Docker containers. You should consider using Container-Optimised OS as the operating system for your Compute Engine instance if you have the following needs:
- You need support for Docker containers or Kubernetes with minimal setup.
- You need an operating system that has a small footprint and is security hardened for containers.
- You need an operating system that is tested and verified for running Kubernetes on your Compute Engine instances.
- Container-Optimised OS may not be the right choice for you in the following cases:
- Your application is not containerised or your containerised application depends on kernel modules, drivers and other additional packages that are not available in Container-Optimised OS.
- You need professional customer support from a Linux provider (Canonical, Core OS, Redhat, SUSE, etc).
- You want your image and OS application to be fully supported outside intelHUB Cloud Platform.
Want To Know More
Need further information or require a quotation?
All calls are recorded for security, training and quality purposes
0330 2233 409
Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5.30pm. Dialling an 0330 number costs the same to dial as a call to a geographic (local) number. They cost the same to call from a landline or mobile and are included in mobile call packages.
Where am I calling?
You are calling our Network Operations Centre based in London, United Kingdom.
Just so you know, we are not able to accept telesales or telemarketing calls and can't be transferred.